Saturday 15 December 2012

These are the moments that we're living for


When meeting and getting to know new friends, you talk of old friends. You share your thoughts and feelings about home life. You take a trip down friendship lane. You share the piece of your friends that you keep in your heart with new friends in new places. Your friends are the ones you turn to for advice, you listen to them. Your friends support you just as much as you need to stand on your own two feet and walk away when you are ready to leave. You're friends say farewell, and pray for you on your way. They encourage and inspire.

Ten years ago. Wow what a lot has changed. Ten years ago I hadn't fallen in love. I hadn't been on a plane. I was still concerned about fitting into the crowd, and hadn't found my own voice. I hadn't realised the beauty of independence and freedom. I had however, just met a group of friends who changed my life, and still change my life today. I met my soul sisters. Ten years on and each one inspire me. I go straight to one of them in times of need, worry and fear, they ALWAYS know the calling. These aren't friends I talk to every day. They are not friends I even see regularly, or know when I will see them again. These are friends that are with me always. These are friends that years can go by, and not a single day will have passed.

This time next week I will be reunited with one of my friends on the island of Boracay in the Philippines. This is more than amazing. I have know Kay for ten years and we grew up streets apart from each other in our small home town a million, 6866 to be exact, miles away. I will board a plane in Hong Kong, without much contact or many plans. And I know she will be there. On the other side of the world, I had a dream that I would spend Christmas on a beach this year, with Kay in the sunshine. Dreams do come true.

It's been a fun week in Hong Kong. There is excitement for the Christmas break and people are uplifted with flying home and seeing family and friends. Each day the office thins out as more people travel across the world to be reunited with their roots. On Tuesday night I went to a gig. I found myself in a pub that had an open mic night. I had arrived early and sat in the corner, with a pint and soaked up every inch of the atmosphere. The Wanch is a great little place.  Real music, real people and a unique little pocket of this remarkable city. I was blown away with the main performance. Her name was Kristina Lao and she had a soul touching voice and songs to match.

After the bands had wrapped up, we wandered and talked into the night. We spoke about inspiration, travel and identity. We watched the urban nightlife unravel its hidden lives in front of our eyes.

On Wednesday night I went over to a friends house and shared some food and wine. I also locked my keys in my apartment and had to send out some 'damsel in distress' texts to see if anyone could let me back into my home. Luckily, or fate has it, or God, I was let in by 3am and was reunited with my own bed after my friend, very kindly lent me the right side of her bed.

On Thursday night, I WENT TO SEE THE HOBBIT. The film was released on Thursday and I had booked for the 6.20pm showing that evening. Coincidently it was also the earliest show I physically could have gone to, and I was there. I queued, I was given popcorn and iced tea and I was ready. I sat on the edge of my seat for nearly the entire film. The last time I read the Hobbit was when I came to Hong Kong in May. I remember a summers day back in 2008 listening to the radio, with two of my soul sisters beside me in the sunshine at a little outside garden centre, them saying 'The Hobbit has gone into production'. I was as excited to be watching it after all these years, as I was the day I heard it was being created. It was fantastic. Three hours of fantasy and adventure followed by questing and discovering new lands. People asked me 'how was it?' I replied 'Amazing!' 'Is it as good as the book?' they asked, I replied 'I never compare a film to a book. One is my imagination, and the other, someone else's. You can't compare the two. You can't compare the two art forms. One is visual, one is internal.'

On Saturday a friend from university came to town. I met Craig when I studied at The Academy of Contemporary Music. Craig is now a Para Olympian and was in Hong Kong competing in a fencing tournament. I had a day to show Hong Kong off in it's best light. As a resident of HK, you have to have lots of visitor trips up your sleeve. Craig is the 5th visitor I have had, in less than five months of being here. There is a fine balance of showing the Hong Kong you love, and showing the Hong Kong you think they'll love. Then there is the time they have in town and then there is the budget. I think about my tours. I love to show people around this amazing city. I ask for their criteria, what they have read about, what they would like to see, anything they have already seen. I had a day with Craig so decided on the following agenda.

Walk through The Peninsula main lobby to see the grandeur. After taking in the ore of The Peninsula, head towards the Star Ferry, take the ferry across Victoria Harbour and on to the tram at Wan Chai, a short walk from the ferry peir. Once on the tram, take it all the way to Happy Valley and back to Wan Chai, taking in Causeway Bay and its magnificent Time Square, and taking in the views of Happy Valley race course, not to mention the vast cemetery, full of history. It really is the perfect way to see Hong Kong, and so very cheap too. Once off the tram, walk through Wan Chai markets and head for a quick detour into the glass lift at The Hopewell Centre on Queens Road Est. Once through the maze of the mall and we’d seen the city from a unique height we head down Queen's Road East for some lunch at Charlie's, a perfect little East meets West, cheap and cheerful restaurant. Once sufficiently watered and nourished we jumped on bus no. 15 to all the way to the top of the Peak for an afternoon coffee in front of one of the most breath taking views in the world. We took the Peak tram back down the mountainside to Hong Kong Park, which lay below. We wandered though, making another detour, this time through the bird aviary, which always surprises me. To find so much nature in between the sky-high buildings was pleasant and as close to nature as one can find themselves in a city with more than eight million people. Within Hong Kong park there is a area dedicated to, or trying to mimic an Olympic stadium. It’s smaller, much smaller, but Olympic Park was the perfect photo opportunity with my Olympian friend. From Hong Kong Park we walked through Pacific Place to the outside art and gardens in Admiralty, where I had been for the first time only the weekend before. Down to the harbour to walk along the water front to the IFC. From the IFC the plan was to head towards the ICC for sunset. We could then sit and enjoy the view, the skyline and the infamous cocktails while the city lit up, from natural light, to ultraviolet, neon lights and buildings lit up like everyone was still at work with the office lights lining each building. The only thing I would have liked to add onto the end of this action packed 24 hour’s in Hong Kong is, Night Temple Street market with it’s bright colours, sounds, sights and everything unusual. I was tired and Craig had been to the Night Market the previous evening.  Craig said I should be a tour guide. I was flattered and explained that my passion and enthusiasm only worked, because I cared about the persons experience because they were someone I knew. I don't think doing it every day, with strangers would be as exciting or enjoyable. Maybe one day?

I love a visitor. I said farewell to Craig and we went back to, the opposite lives, country and worlds we lived in.

On Saturday night, I got creative. We played music, took photos, played dressing up, literally like we were five again and talked about life, the world and universe. It has been a good week in my beloved Hong Kong. Yes. It has been a good week.

I wrote this poem:

Maybe this is my time to live.
To create the stories to be told 
To inspire future generations and to adapt reality with love. 
To begin again, every day.
In the city of good soles. 
You in you. 
And I'll find me here.
If we meet again 
Well that is beautiful.
If we don't.
I'm glad I met you today. 
It's almost like you read my soul, 
Or I chose to let you in. 
We have set the quantum universe on fire. But we don't tell a soul. 
No
We don't tell a soul. 
Because ethereal souls who are awake listen and hear. 
And we'll find them.
We find them. 
Yes. 
I found them here. 
It's written on your face
It's written on your clothes. 
It's written in your heart. 
And you sing it, 
This IS magic, and I believe it 

No comments:

Post a Comment