Saturday 28 July 2012

Climate Control and Body Clock


So the climate here..........

I have a heat rash. Because I left the air con on too low. The air con unit that sits above my bed, feet end is my new and life changing challenge. Set it too low, it doesn't do anything but push hot humid air around the room, something you want to avoid when falling asleep with a duvet, albeit small and thin, all night long. Mistake A. Leave it on too high, you freeze to death and wake up with a cold. Lesson from my HK trip number one.

The third night, in my experience is the worst for jet lag. I always forget that jet lag continues and doesn't consider your wants and desires. That's right, your body clock by day three is so confused about when to sleep, eat and be awake.

I went to bed at 11:30pm which is pretty late for me as most people will know, I am a 6am-10pm girl-daylight lady. I read my book on my new and very exciting Kindle, thank you Graham and Ruth for making this happen, and turned my book off (a very 21st century thing to do), popped the air con on to a temperature/setting that I thought would see me through the night, pulled my sheet which I exchanged for the duvet tonight, around me and waited to drift off into the land of dreams. BAM.

YOU'RE NOT SLEEPING. Midnight passes, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, should I start reading again? Maybe the air con settings need adjusting? Maybe try some breathing? 3 o'clock, 3:30, I could just do a little reading? But I wanted to go running at 7am, 4 o'clock, FINE, lights on, book out, no chance, ohhhhh home is awake maybe some catching up, no no no........

Two lessons:

I care less about my appearance in Hong Kong. Although I have a heat rash, not completely unexpected, I don't care as much. It'll go. I have found a way of drying out the skin, healthy application of toothpaste would you believe it. I'll work out the air con/too hot/too cold dilemma soon. No worries.

Second lesson: Jet Lag isn't so bad when no time scale exists to live by. It doesn't matter when I sleep, am awake, eat or drink. I have no time restrictions. Let me tell you, this is an amazing feeling. I don't live by a clock telling me when I should be sleeping, exercising, eating, tired or awake. I have no pressure to do anything at a certain time or certain place. I will find work, eventually, but for now, I'm going to enjoy my waking hours, whenever they may be, and enjoy my sleep whenever that comes. Enjoy my days of no agenda and see where relaxing takes me day by day.

Rome wasn't built in a day. And I will take Hong Kong day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment