Friday 27 July 2012

Happy Valley, giantification of objects and the olympics


I’ve never seen an orange sky like the one this morning. The whole city was painted golden. I could barely open my eyes, I was so tired, but it was beautiful. A crash of lightening and I was awake. 

So, I am here. In Hong Kong. Ready to ride the waves of this new city. I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on the flight over. Evelyn writes a blog and describes her experiences. She writes; ‘faced with a wave, you have two options, you can stand still and get knocked down, or you can dive right in and swim out the other side’.

I will jump right into this new city, I will embrace it, live it, breath it, make the most of it. I owe it to myself too not waste a single moment making all of my dreams come true. I have an opportunity and it starts today.

Evelyn also writes ‘what we have before us is a challenge. Our challenge is to embrace it, not just survive but thrive in our new surroundings and in our new life’

The weather is wet. Typhoon season brings regular thunderstorms and heavy down pours. I've never seen rain like it. It's much cooler than it was last time I was here, and I must admit, I am quite relieved. A country of extremes. Unbearable humidity and unbelievable rain. If I can survive this and make a life out here then I will have achieved a great deal 

It has been nice to ease into HK life today. New sim card and HK number, lunch at Shelly's Yard, just off the famous escalators. Three courses for $75. Mushroom soup, vegetable lasagna, coffee and a brownie (which I wrapped to have later). My first IKEA visit and a stroll back from Causeway Bay to Happy Valley via the Rugby 7's stadium. 


We found a HUGE backpack. I, for whatever reason have a slight obsession with the giantification of objects. It fascinates me, makes me smile and I feel like I’m four again. Check out the backpacks we found. Maturity at an ALL time high in Hong Kong



I was glad that Richard came to wake me at 4am to watch the opening ceremony of The London 2012 Olympics. WHAT a show. Danny Boyle did good. I felt very proud to be English. One thing: WHERE was Shakespeare? Dizzy Rascal made an appearance but no mention of Shakespeare!!! It was a spectacular show, choreographed perfectly with a history of why Britain is great. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment