Sunday 11 November 2012

Freedom


It was one of those weeks. I didn’t seem to be able to get on top of my work, no matter what I did. I attended a conference in the Mandarin Oriental on Monday and Tuesday. The conference was the IBA M&A and I sat and listened to the latest trends in the market. Each panel was made up of legal professionals talking about the future of the M&A market and I made countless notes. The first event I will be involved in will be the same event but for the International Financial Law Review for Euromoney Legal Media Group in February next year. It was reassuring for me to understand the discussions and it made me realise I had already learnt a huge amount about international law in such a short period of time. I was having conversations about mergers and acquisitions in Europe and Canada. Talking about the natural resource opportunities and the financing of million dollar deals.

I felt confident about my up and coming event and I knew enough to put together the M&A event. With my new knowledge I made my way back to the office to continue working on the M&A agenda. I wanted to wrap it up as soon as possible, book in some speakers (in-house lawyers and private practice lawyers) and move on to my next event.

This wasn't going to happen this week as a huge project got dumped on me. I had spent hours putting together a book to support my next event, the Women in Business Law Awards on the November 22. I would be presenting the award ceremony in front of 300+ lawyers. The book was 29 pages long and I thought I had done a good job. It was sent back to me and I realised that I would need to dedicate many more hours to complete it, setting me back on my M&A agenda. I am realising very quickly what is required of me, but I am learning the hard way. This week felt like I would need to start work at 7am and stay till midnight in order to complete all that was required. I plodded on. I can see the aim and goals, its just taking time to get there. I am making small steps, day by day.

Wednesday was my 26th birthday, and the first birthday I had spent away from home. I was aware of the work commitments I had, and this over shadowed my celebrations a little. I must be growing up when birthday’s become a small inconvenience. Saying that, it was a lovely day and many people made the effort to come and celebrate my special day. I went for lunch with six ladies from work and then had some drinks in a bar close to the office. After this Aimi and I headed to Happy Valley and the rooftop where I had spent so much of my time in Hong Kong. Where it all began all those months ago. I retold the story to the people that were there.

‘It was a year ago today that my friend Ally wrote to me, ‘Happy Birthday, you should visit Hong Kong’. I booked a flight and spent months debating whether to take it or not. Going to Australia at the start of 2012 and returning realising that something wasn't right about my Australia plan, I decided in early May to take the offer and flight to Hong Kong for a week. I arrived and three days in, met Paul and Richie at dinner. We all headed back to their flat in Happy Valley to continue the party. Paul added me on Facebook and we realised we shared a mutual friend, my school friend Sonia. Paul said ‘this is her flat’. Of all the places in all of Hong Kong that I could have ended up at, I had found myself in a flat owned by someone I went to school with. I phoned and changed my return flight there and then, decided to stay for an extra week in Hong Kong. Paul and Richie let me stay on their couch for my extra time. Two weeks later I boarded my flight back to the UK, knowing I would be retuning to start my new life. I retuned home, two days later I quit my job and booked a one-way ticket back to Hong Kong. I knew it was my next chapter, my destiny to move to Hong Kong.’

On Friday I collected a parcel from home. I unwrapped the many presents inside,  tears streaming down my face and my heart aching to see my family. It was lovely to feel so close to my family in this moment. Cards, and presents, and words of support and love.




On Friday evening I met with some people to go for a night hike. We met at 7pm and set off for Jardine’s Look Out. The evening was full of great conversation and a mutual feeling that hiking on Friday night was by far the best way to distress after a week at work. We finished up at The Jockey in Happy Valley where we ate and drank cold cider.













Saturday morning was bright and sunny. The weather is just beautiful right now in Hong Kong. I didn't have plans so I enjoyed the no time frame Saturday. At lunch Matt called to invite me to Mong Kok for a guided tour and to chill. We wandered the busy streets of Mong Kok, Prince Edward and went about some Saturday afternoon errands. We bought some fresh orange juice and a beer, deciding that a beer while walking around the streets was in fact a great idea and a great way to spend the afternoon.  Matt and I chilled in his flat for the rest of the afternoon, swapping music, poetry, film and art. We shared our experiences and thoughts on the world.
Matt left to find a friend who was filming a short film.

















































I made my way home. I was relaxed and had no agenda. While walking down Hennessey road I stumbled across a bookshop. Entering with the intention of not spending too much money, but seeing what was available. Note to self: You are incapable of entering a bookshop without spending lots of money. I left with 5 books and a $700 receipt. I text a friend, who told me that I needed to treat myself more, something I struggle to do. The guilt departed and I was delighted with my new books. After all, it was my birthday. The next shop I came to was the Apple store. I had broken my iPod back in August, after a very wet run in the pouring rain. I had been researching a new iPod for weeks and it was getting ridiculous. I bought an iPod shuffle. I needed to start getting more serious about my running, as I had the ½ marathon (13 miles) in February to complete in less than two hours. The iPod was very necessary and so was treating myself. 





With a bag full of books, and a new iPod I was feeling very spoilt. I had definitely treated myself. My friend telling me that ‘you have been budgeting for so long, you work hard, you need to reward yourself sometimes’.

I don’t know why I struggle so much to treat myself, reward the hard work I do. Maybe because I always feel like I could be doing more and I don’t need to treat or reward or myself. I’m learning the importance of reward, valuing myself more and the benefits of doing this. There was one more thing left for me to do, if I was on this ‘treat yourself mission’.  I had for some time, since arriving really wanted to go for dinner on my own. I was next to Crystal Jades; so decided that tonight was the night I would fulfill this dream. After all, I did have a bag full of books so I wasn’t really on my own. I sat and ordered my favourite; dan dan la mian, a bowl of noodles in a shrimp, peanut and tomato sauce. I looked through my purchases, Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a Shoe String, Hong Kong State of Mind, a compilation of blogs about Hong Kong, Around the World in Eighty Days, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Oscar Wilde’s Complete Works. It must be said, I was having the perfect Saturday night.

I forget how good spending time on your own is. I love it. It is time to be free, to do whatever you want, whenever you want and not have to worry about anything or anyone else. A friend said to me this week; ‘enjoy your alone time while you have it’ I couldn't agree more. 










































On Sunday I woke up and decide that I would go for a run, discovering a new route to Aberdeen. I had my new iPod and the sun was shining. I left my world behind, and set off with my music. I had researched the route, it was an eight mile round trip, heading up Wan Chai Gap road, over to Aberdeen reservoir and taking in section three of the Hong Kong Trail. I felt free running, nothing apart from me, my music and the countryside. Fresh air filled my lungs, and I could notice the impact of cutting out smoking. I will be a non smoker by 2013. I pushed myself, my legs ached and my heart beat fast. It felt good. I had decided to use my Sunday to commit to something I wanted to do. No one else was involved in my decision and it felt good. I felt good. I have been struggling to find the time to do the things I wanted to do. Only then did I realise, I was the only reason I hadn't been doing the things I wanted to do. I felt strong and confident. I have made a commitment that 2013 will be my healthy year, hiking, and running and taking care of myself. The trail was beautiful, the flowers are beginning to bloom and they smell so exotic. It felt like the first day of summer, although it is early November. I think I love Hong Kong a little more today.

Two hours later I arrived back at my flat, eight miles complete. I have a long way to go if I am to complete the ½ marathon in two hours. Somehow I am going to have to fit an extra five miles into the same time that I had just run eight. It’s good to have a goal, and I now have a good starting point.

It’s been a wonderful weekend. Work has felt a million miles away, I have learnt that it feels good to treat myself occasionally, and that staying true to your own decisions makes you feel confident and happy.
I am grateful for the people in my life, for the amazing city I live in and the job that I have found. 

I went to meet Sally for what has become a Sunday afternoon/evening tradition, a massage!! Hong Kong is THE place to get a massage, 24 hours a day. They vary hugely from one to the next; you never really know what you're going to get with elaborate names, and very varied pricing. After my eight mile run I was up for a Sunday night massage more than I had been before. We decided to try somewhere new, this one called something lavish and exotic, Bali massage, or something like that. You enter a relatively standard looking apartment block, heading to floors four, eight or 21! There are hairdressers, spas, and people's apartments all squeezed into building no more than 10 x 20 meters. This one was particularly funny; looking like someone's front room, there was even a kitchen. The prices are very reasonable, compared with the UK. You can have a 45 minute foot or full body massage for $100. We opted for both, a 45 minute foot massage followed by a 45 minute full body. We decided that the only thing to follow a massage should be another massage.

I had a young man doing mine....and my goodness did I know about it. He tested the pressure and then upped it ten fold....digging deep into my calf and feet. It was something else.  I wasn't sure if I was putting up with unnecessary pain or if it was good for me at all. I'm sure it was. Something always crosses my mind while having a massage; there is absolutely NO consistency with massages!!! Though you have to love how close, cheap and easy it is to have a massage in this city.


After my foot massage we want into a tiny room for the full body. I was scared! If he could dig that deep into my calves and soles, what was he going to do to my back, shoulders and legs! What followed was a mix between a yoga session and a deep tissue/muscle massage! Every bone was reached.....he pushed through the muscles right to the bone! I tried to think of a happy relaxing place.....

Thank god there is thousands of massage parlors.....Bali massage once and once only. I'm sure I'll feel fab tomorrow. Only time will tell. 


I purchased a blender, so smoothies and soups for me. This is my
first creation, kiwi, banana, celery, orange and apple. 

That wraps up another week in Hong Kong. I leave this week on a high.

No comments:

Post a Comment