Friday 8 March 2013

Something in the Air



Hong Kong continues to have surprises around every corner. I have been hard at work, completing my first Asia event last week. A two day conference in a 5* hotel, the Island Shangri-La with over 300 lawyers in tail. It was exhausting and took every last ounce of energy I had left. I spent the weekend recovering.

Although, I did fit in a theatre trip to see 'Freud's Last Session' a play about Freud and C.S Lewis, where they have a heated discussion about religion and psychology. A very interesting debate. The one thing that stood out to me was the character Freud, was the only one that raised his voice, quite aggressively at times. C.S Lewis, had a strength, a belief, a contented persona or acceptance.  

On Sunday I went to church and felt a huge release after what felt like weeks of pent up anxiety. I feel I have turned a corner with my health and my body appears to be back to normal after the humongous $7100 medical bill.

I'm off to the theatre again this evening. A play about manic depression called 'The Accidental Death of an Anarchist' at the Fringe Club.

I've had training all week, with my manger flying over specially to help me progress in my role as events producer. She sadly dropped in at the start 'we were thinking of flying you to London'. This would have been perfect with my sister's birthday this week, mothers day on Sunday and my beautiful grandparents celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. I would have loved more than anything to be at both. I miss my mum, sister and my Gran cuddle catch ups.

I have been keeping busy writing, running and organising logistics to move to a new apartment in early April. I will be taking the step to live on my own on the 7th April. I shall be moving off the island and onto Kowloon side for the next year, minimum. The next big chapter for me on my journey. Making a home in Hong Kong. I am excited and nervous, just the right amount of both, as to be expected with change on the horizon. The weather is starting to improve daily, and it's almost time for the beach. I am looking forward to reading books on the beach, swimming in the sea, roof top BBQ's and after work gatherings.

I think wearing sunglasses on the way to work is one of my favourite things. It's beautiful in Hong Kong this morning. Last night was brilliant. Some nights just tick all the boxes, last Thursday night was the opposite. However, last night was fantastic.

I met Matt after work in Sheung Wan. We walked into Central ready for the theatre. We came across an art gallery opening, something one stumbles across regularly in this town. We decided there and then we should definitely be there, so maid a B line to the front door, which was being guarded by not one, but THREE list bitches. (List bitch is the phrase to describe the women who stand on the doors of exclusive venues, deciding who deserves to enter, and who doesn't, usually clutching a list of names, the guest list)

Matt and I weren't phased. We only had fifteen minutes until the play started. We used this to persuade them we belonged at this art gallery opening. We also threw in a complicated name as the person who was 'meant' to add us to the list. The list bitch eyed us up from head to toe, I was wearing my Uggs, she didn't look impressed. But then more people arrived and we were holding up the suits, so she shuffled us in and towards the trays of champagne! The Hong Kong hustle continues.
It was an amazing collection of art. Very important looking people filled each floor, there were four floors.

You can see here: http://www.operagallery.com/ang/asia/hong-kong.html

After too many glasses of champagne, too quickly we made our way to the Fringe Club, the venue of our next artsy outing 'The Accidental Death of an Anarchist'.

The play was great. Reminded me of the buzz I used to get from being on stage. It's so real. The play was fast paced, and at times almost hard to watch. A very clever play with the story based around a central character with manic depression, although there was more mania than anything else. I wanted to go and see this play, as I have been researching and reading about manic depression recently. I will write about it in my blog 'Manic in the City'

Another busy but wonderful week in Hong kong





































No comments:

Post a Comment