Sunday 21 April 2013

A different type of spa



After a challenging week I pulled myself together to rejoin reality on Friday. I woke early and made it to work by 7:30am. I had such a lot to catch up on.

The weekend promised friends, new and old. I had met Olivia just over a month ago at a gathering in my flat, before it was mine and was still Matt's. Matt had a leaving do, Olivia was there, I was there. We emailed and arranged to meet up when she had returned from Nepal and I from Penang.

Olivia worked in Wan Chai and after a few exchanged texts, we arranged to meet for lunch on the public rooftop at The Pawn, an old heritage building in Wan Chai.

We instantly clicked and discussed our lives, beliefs and faith. We shared stories, concerns and advice. It is safe to say, instant friends.

I invited Olivia over to my new apartment on Saturday to collage/scrap book after discovering this was a creative interest we shared. I had a wonderful relaxing Saturday morning. Tidying up, drinking tea and exploring my new flat, all to myself on a Saturday. I was in heaven. I listened to music, wrote, read, contacted friends, planned, researched and cleaned. All the things I love. Olivia arrived after lunch and we sat and rummaged through old magazines, cutting, pasting, talking and sharing. I felt very lucky to have found a new friend who shared a very important new part of me. My faith. We talked about our journeys to find God.

Olivia left and I had an early night, knowing I needed to be up and about by 7am the following morning.
I woke at 5:30am. I finished off a documentary I had started the night before about North Korea. At 7:30am I hopped on the MTR to Central to meet with a friend to head up the Peak for a morning hike. We met at 8:30 and we instantly commented on the length of time since our last meeting, before Christmas. Hong Kong can quickly absorb time. One visitor after the next, work commitments, friends coming and going, weddings, celebrations and holidays. Time flies in this city.

We set off from Bonham Road. This was a hike we had done before, but only at night. It was a cool and beautiful morning. Just what I needed. Some fresh air, vigorous exercise and good conversation. We had lots to catch up on. Four months worth of adventures.

We talked about work, as she used to work at the same company I now work at, leaving only a year ago. It was good to talk about work with someone who knew everyone I talked about. Similarly, she offered advice and encouragement.

We walked around the entire perimeter of the Peak. We were among the clouds today. We talked about our family visits, life in Hong Kong and people leaving. It was the perfect Sunday morning.

I made my way back to my home. Meandering through the market. There were a few things I wanted to buy. A new outfit for my second event. On Wednesday I head to Singapore for an event I have worked hard to make a success. I will be in Singapore for five days. After my event I will meet with my dear friend Paul. I am very excited about having my number one tour guide show me around a new city in Asia. Paul had a big part to play in my love for Hong Kong.

I arrived back at my flat, with new purchases. I had a shower and relaxed before I headed out again.
I had been invited by Olivia to join her at the evening service at her church. When I arrived in Hong Kong it felt very important to me to find a church. I had looked at The Vine, just before I met Josh who introduced me to St Stephens Society. I have been going along to this church in Li Chi Kok for nearly ten months. Being someone to never turn down an opportunity to experience something new in Hong Kong I wet along and met Olivia at 4pm on Wan Chai road, the road I moved from only two weeks ago to attend The Vine.

I walked in and was instantly reminded of Spring Harvest, Word Alive. It was an auditorium packed with young people. The average age had to be 25, a few older faces, but 90% under 30.

We sang and prayed together, always saying 'amen' as one. I had been told by Olivia that they were very creative with their worship, something I was instantly keen to experience. She told me that at a previous service they were all asked to write down on a piece of paper a time in their life where they hadn't felt God present in a difficult situation. They then put the pieces of paper up on the wall and all the lights were turned off. A UV light was shone. Before the pieces of paper were distributed, JESUS had been written in the centre. Now the light shone to reveal that JESUS was written in the centre of the pages, in the middle of the problems that had been noted moments before. This showed that God was always at the centre of everything, he was always there.
We sang and you could feel the connection. The peace.

Tony Read took to the stage. He reminded me of David Attenborough. Wise, deep voice and knowledgeable. Faith, belief and compassion was written in large words on the screen behind him. He talked about the 'F' word. Failure and frustration. We read from Mark 9. "Everything is possible for one who believes"

I felt reassured that this journey I was on I no longer was on it alone. I no longer had to just rely on myself, I was supported, unconditionally and loved through the failures and successes. I wasn't alone anymore.

We then were presented with a Martin Luther king Jr quote:

"No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they'd die for"

This resonates with me. I have, for some time been seeking the answer to this in my own life. What in your life, can you absolutely not do? What is your focus, drive, inspiration? What is your purpose, direction, legacy?

We were then told to get our iPhones out. Everyone that had an iPhone was asked to stand up. I was impressed at how many people owned one. We were asked to locate the compass app and find zero degrees north. This indicated a direction. He went on to say how Christ had died for the world, and the church was created to live for the world. I felt connected in this. Like I had found my direction. We were here to live the best lives we could, in his creation. We had chosen to live in his name, trust him and believe in him.

We were then told to write the following........
Failure
-It's gunna happen!!! But you are not alone
-Never give up. Persist.
-Failure is good for you. It helps you to learn about yourself, grow and develop. It helps you to understand the world. There is life beyond failure. It makes you empathetic. Compassionate.
-Don't live in fear of failure. Live beyond fear with God.

What is underneath this lesson?
Strength, hope and encouragement.

I had noticed apples under chairs at the start and now was the time Tony instructed everyone to reach under their chairs. There were 100 apples distributed, and those that had them were told to start eating. As they ate their apples he talked about strength returning after hard times. The circle of life. That from small seeds, orchards do grow. Once the apple eaters had finished they were told to pick out the seeds and give them to everyone who didn't have an apple under their chair. Seeds were distributed from the apple eaters and everyone in the congregation now had one. The entire congregation was now holding a piece of the apple. This represented growth. Eternal purpose.

Look for the seeds in life. The hope. The light at the end of the tunnel. Find the knowledge that you are not alone. That through the darkness the light comes back and shines through you.

We sang and prayed once again. Olivia putting her hand on my shoulder and I felt comforted. I had found a family. I had finally found my tribe in Hong Kong. This is where I belonged.

I was introduced to Olivia's friend. She simply said 'I feel like I've been to the spa' she was right. I felt invigorate for the week ahead. It was the perfect ending to the week and the courage I needed to take on the week ahead. I was completely at one with the world.







No comments:

Post a Comment