Tuesday 19 June 2012

Why are you going to Hong Kong?






The plugs are the same!!!!!


No. But it is a contributing factor. Actually it is a combination of listening to my heart and taking a leap of faith. I went to Hong Kong with an open mind as I am looking for somewhere I belong. At the end of 2011, my nephew was born, Kenai. This changed a great deal for me. I suddenly felt purpose and drive. I started 2012 with a mission, to start living. Really living, not just going from day to day, questioning my existence and doing very little with my time. Kenai was so small and helpless, a clean slate, a small and brand new person, with experiences and adventures ahead of him. All sorts of people will influence him. Both positive and negative. It is up to the people around him to influence him with inspiration and love. I wanted to be a positive influence on this new little person.

I found a direction. To explore the world, try news things, put my happiness to the highest importance and continue to work on the relationship with myself. I wanted to connect with my soul, faith and spirituality. I wanted to believe.

I set myself goals and started to move towards my dreams. I wanted to return to Australia and see if I could take the company I work for out there and set up a branch in Melbourne. I started working 12-hour days, and putting plans together. I wrote a business plan and on Australia day I went for dinner with my manager to present my vision. He was blown away and one month later I boarded a plane to Australia. I had 2 weeks in Melbourne and 2 weeks in Sydney. Meeting with practitioners to learn and listen to them about how our company could work down under.

When I left Australia, I was faced with a difficult situation. I had been on an adventure, and the reality of my life waited for me. I was back behind my desk, with the same job role, people and feelings I had before. I was back in a place I didn't want to be.

What happened next was 8 weeks of questions, over analysis, excessive thinking, and round and round I went. What next? Why? How? When? If? Should? Maybe this? Or that? What is right for me? What is right for them? What am I looking for? Why am I looking all the time? Accept? Change? Accept then change...........

I sat on a very rainy, wet and cold day and the thought I had been waiting for crossed my mind. Why don't I take this one-way ticket to Hong Kong that I have had booked since October. A week away may help make some answers clear. I emailed my friend a final response: 'How about I come to Hong Kong for a week?'

The things that are making me move:
-The people in Hong Kong: I have for some time struggled to connect with my friends in the UK. I am thinking on different lines, wanting different things and not being inspired. I have been fed up with hearing people complaining about their lives and doing nothing to change it. It is split between, those who are settling down, and those who just live for the weekend. I don't want either of these things. I am most alive when I am engaged, challenged, working hard and achieving. I went to Hong Kong and was surrounded by people who were driven, work hard, and most importantly, the people weren't so different to my friends back home, they still have the same worries and questions, uncertainties, and concerns, BUT they have taken the leap, they have decided that their comfort zone wasn't cutting it and they had headed to the unknown to try. This made a huge impact on me. 
-The ExPat community is alive and working hard.
-The place: I arrived like a rabbit in the headlights. The city is the most diverse place I have ever been to. Bustling streets with old verses new in every direction. It really has it ALL. Tranquil islands, busy markets, green parks, food of every description and taste, coffee shops and fish markets, Brits and Chinese, tall buildings and every mode of convenient transport.

Things I will learn:

People come and go throughout your life. Hong Kong is a very hello/good bye place
Real responsibility for myself
Independence
Consequences for my behaviour
How to go out and drink without getting drunk
How to go out and eat without getting fat


Anything can happen.....................

I can’t wait



No comments:

Post a Comment