Monday 7 January 2013

Finite balance

I was talking to a friend last night about money and life, as you do. At the start of this year I have set goals, one of them being to travel as much as possible in 2013. This, inevitably costs money, taking away from my savings goal....of life (save a 1/3, spend a 1/3 on living and a 1/3 on bills)
BUT I keep running out of money. I have about £300 to last the month. Now this is, as we all know my first attempt at supporting and living on my own, being responsible 100% for my own life. I'm doing something wrong. I spend my money and then spend weeks declaring 'I'm broke' and the second half of the month is spent eating noodles and not attending anything I'm invited to.
Saying this, I am also an avid saver. I worry about not having any money so I save. This poses the question of 'what am I saving for?' It's important to have something tucked away, I'm living proof of the opportunity having something tucked away can bring, I moved to Hong Kong on a whim, but was able to because I had been saving for months. But now I'm hear, living a new life, am I restricting myself from certain things in the present to prepare for the future? How do you strike the perfect balance here. I think it's time to look at my finances again. Oh joy. Figures, numbers, spreadsheets and worry. I don't find this appealing but it might help me figure (see what I did there) out a better balance. I was reading a book about how focusing on one area of your life an trigger change in others, obviously, changing anything has a consequence (a theme running through my life for the past week or so)
It all comes down to priorities I guess. What is important to me, right now. I want to travel, yes. I also want to save, yes but I also want to live and enjoy my time in Hong Kong, yes. A balance again. I also want to spend more time reading and writing, luckily both of these are free activities, and I also want to get fit again, also free. I'm not writing a schedule for this, it'll happen, it already does. Letting the things that are important to me just flow.

I'm debating moving house too. This is a whole new thing I'm considering. Weighing up all the possibilities, the pros and cons. I have until May to decide, so this is just a mere consideration for now. I do enjoy a challenge and a change. I'm going to put the feelers out there for someone who might be a potential house buddy. It'd be an easy choice if I had someone to move in with........not sure that this is actually true anymore. I just think it might be more fun with someone.

But I must put a budget together........I'm hoping my friend that comes to stay in six weeks can assist. She's good with numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment