Thursday 4 October 2012

All grown up


It felt like my first day at school. New dress ironed, morning run in the sun complete, and more enthusiasm and excitement than I had ever felt.

I am a conference producer for Euromoney Legal Group in Hong Kong.

I left the UK for Hong Kong 10 weeks ago today. I walked to my new office through Wan Chai park in the sunshine with the biggest smile on my face. One giant leap of faith and 10 weeks later I was on my way to my dream job in my dream city.

I went to floor 27 and entered my new world. Simon showed me to my desk and I waited for the IT chap, Kwong to come and set my emails up. I have a very tight schedule, with my first event already five weeks behind schedule. I added all my events and deadlines into my calendar and began to put some questions together for the calls I'll be required to make to in-house counsel and private practice lawyers. My first deadline is next week so no wasting time. An hour later and my afternoon had been booked out with three meetings. One with Karen, marketing manager for all Asia events who I'll be working with AND managing. Simon, sales manager also booked me in, and then Vicki, my direct manager.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I feel my role is very integral to the Asia legal group and there is a sense that people have been waiting for the role of conference producer to be filled as soon as possible as most of the team require the conference producer to provide the product that they all go and sell.

After a much needed lunch break I made my way back to the office for an afternoon of meetings. As the afternoon plodded on, my brain slowed and my energy levels reduced dramatically.

Information overload. I made lists and notes on everything, hoping that it would all sink in one day soon. My manger called from London and I increasingly found it tough to make heads and tails of what she was saying. I made more lists and decided that as long as it was all noted, when I returned in the morning it would all make more sense. I've always been a morning person, so I wasn't concerned. I have a good idea of what needs to be done. I scheduled another call in with my manager for the following day telling her that I’d prefer to leave the next section till the next day.
I made a coffee and started typing up as much of the day as I could remember.

After work I met with my new housemate for a drink and some Mexican food. It was nice to finally meet him after drifting past each other for the last few days. We didn't stay out long, as we were both pretty tired after the long weekend and my first day.

An early night in preparation for day two.


No comments:

Post a Comment