Thursday 4 October 2012

City life


Another brilliant day in the office. I made some real progress with my event and felt at home with making plans and scheduling.

I arrived early and got straight to work, researching topics that are currently being discussed in the merger and acquisition markets. I concentrated on the past two events, from 2011 and 2012. This gave me a good idea of what was expected for the 2013 event and who I would need to contact for content and sponsorship.

My lists from yesterday made their way to documents and the event agenda started to take shape by the end of the day. I have to produce the first draft by next Wednesday, so a tight first deadline. The harder I work now, the easier it will become. There are clearly lots of projects going on simultaneously and there will be a fine balance between the team in order for everything to come in on deadline. I love a deadline though, and my bonus is calculated in my ability to meet deadlines.

I ordered some business cards ahead of an event I am attending next week, Women in Business Law awards. I was able to change my job title so I am now an Events Producer. There were many options but this felt the most sensible for my CV.

I had a call from Nick in London at the end of the day, he does the same job as me but he does Europe and I do Asia. He was very kind and helpful and explained things to me from an angle that was most relevant. Everyone has their own jobs to do, and there is quite a lot of overlap, so he was great as a sort of outsider.

I left the office and went to do some shopping. One of the best supermarkets on HK Island is opposite my office so I bought some bits and headed home to cook. I offered to make dinner for my housemate too. We rearranged the kitchen and decided I would cook and he'd wash up and contribute to the culinary delights that I would cook up. It's amazing what you can achieve on one induction cooker hob. I made a lovely kale noodle dish with ginger and garlic, with eggs. It went down a storm.

I managed to get some pictures printed in my lunch hour and I was very excited to put them up. My room is getting more homely by the day. I was also excited to finally put some washing on and do some ironing. Finally, clean and ironed clothes. A real treat after creased clothes out of a suitcase for the past two months.

It's the 4th October and my mummy's birthday. After various attempts throughout the day to call, I finally managed to speak with mumma bear to wish her a very happy birthday.

Really settling in to Hong Kong life


No comments:

Post a Comment