Wednesday 10 October 2012

Routine, routine, routine


It's already Wednesday and it’s been a busy week. I'm starting to find my feet in the office and have started making friends.

On Monday I was invited to lunch with some girls from the office. We went to a lovely Thai restaurant.

On Monday night, although I was exhausted I headed out to meet Rachel for a night hike up the Peak. I haven't done very much exercise recently and have been eating too much, so getting back into shape will help my energy levels while embracing the challenges of a new job. It was a beautiful walk and it was nice to talk to someone about work who knows everyone there. Rachel used to be a conference editor at Euromoney too!

We had a bite to eat at a restaurant over looking the Hong Kong skyline, it was very beautiful but they had jacked up the prices, as it was a tourist hotspot.

Tuesday was a tougher day. I was tired and therefore found things more challenging at work. I decided that I couldn't put off opening a bank account any longer, as I wouldn't be paid if I didn't, and I NEED to be paid as the money has diminished somewhat. This was a relatively easy process, though bad communication is always a bit worrying when money is involved. I trusted it would all be okay and deposited $5000 to open the account. The afternoon was a bit challenging as I started to feel really tired. I keep telling myself I should work late to make a good impression but I've failed at this most days due to exhaustion.

I made my sleepy way home and started working on the Christmas event for Feeding Hong Kong. This didn't demand too much energy as it was done from the comfort of my bed. I sent out lots of emails to begin the promotion to membership clubs for the Christmas event: The Festive Food Drive. I was more than ready for bed when 10 o'clock came.

After a good nights sleep I went for a run early on Wednesday morning. I was glad to wake up feeling alert and my energy restored.

The day went swimmingly and I sent my first conference programme of to my manger. Deadline number one achieved.

I had my first conversation/research call with a lawyer who was very informative about the current mergers and acquisitions, current trends in the market and he gave me a list of lawyers to call who would be useful for me to speak with.

After work I headed to the shops, as the heel fell off my work heels and I am attending a big event that IFLR are doing tomorrow. I am going to network with all of the in-house and private practice lawyers that will be there. I needed some shoes, nice and simple. I would also see if I could find any more work attire, as my office clothes are limited.

First off, the shops in Asia do NOT cater for anyone with a waist over 25 inches, and heaven forbid you have a shoe size larger than a size 4. To say this didn't make for an enjoyable shopping trip is an understatement. I lost heart very quickly trying to find anything to fit my feet or me. I found the ONLY pair of heels in a size 6, my size and bought them hoping that they would, even slightly match some of the office clothes I have with me. I am required to wear a suit tomorrow to this event. This isn't going to happen unless I find something in my lunch hour tomorrow, which based on today's failed shopping trip, is unlikely.

I bought some comfy trousers to lounge around the house in and a yoga mat, deciding that I had two options, to slim down to a size 8 and to leave the shops with immediate effect and head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment