Monday 29 October 2012

This new world


Today marks the longest I have ever been away from home. I landed three months ago today in Hong Kong and I have never been away from home for longer than three months. The time has flown by and I am really settling in. I have been at Euromoney for just over three weeks, I have been in my own apartment for a month and I am making lists and plans for my time here. There is so much to do, and I intend to do it all. I have signed up to run the Hong Kong 1/2 marathon in February and joined the netball team. If 2012 was my champagne year, 2013 will be my health year. I intend to give up smoking too.

Friday was another busy day in the office, with three big projects all needing editorial and research. On Friday evening I had plans to see my old flat mate, Jonny as he was leaving Hong Kong to return to Germany on Saturday. It will be the first person that I have to say goodbye to that has been a huge part of my new life out here. We spent the evening in Wan Chai and found an amazing little bar serving cocktails.
Saturday we headed for some lunch and said our goodbyes. I will miss Jonny and hope to see him again, weather back in Hong Kong or in Germany.











I went over to Sally's to watch a movie and chat the afternoon away. It's so lovely to have made such good friends so quickly here. By mid afternoon I was feeling tired from the late evening the night before. I had arranged to catch up with mummy on Skype and it was lovely to do this. My sister and mummy will be coming to visit in March and I am already so excited. It'll have been eight months since I saw them by the time they arrive and I will have a whole week with my sister and two whole weeks with my mummy. I don't miss the UK, but I do miss family time. Nothing compares to time spent with family.

On Sunday morning I made my way to St Stephens Society. It was another inspiring service. Jackie really is such a wonderful and insightful speaker. It seems that what ever has been through my mind in the week she touches upon in her service. We spoke about perseverance and hope (Romans5:3-5) We also talked about growing up and being mature (Ephesians 4:13-15). This is something that I have been thinking a great deal about recently. Standing strong for what you believe in. Moving forward, even if they are small steps in the right direction. Taking on responsibility for your actions.

After church Josh and I wandered around Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui and Jordon. We walked through the markets and crossed the harbour on the Star Ferry. It was a very relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Another week goes by in Hong Kong. Some good byes and some arrivals to look forward too. The longest I have spent away from home and some more realisations about growing up and living my life the right way. As another year roles on by, I start to think of my 2013 plans. It still feels in some ways that time has stood still. I have come along way in 2012. The list I made of things I'd like to achieve in 2012 has a lot of ticks. My 2013 list is forming in my mind. 











No comments:

Post a Comment