Saturday 6 October 2012

Working girl


Well, it definitely felt like work today. As soon as I felt on top of things, more projects flooded in. I'm now working on the Asia M&A Forum, In-house Counsel Summit, South East Asia In-house Summit and the Women in Business Law Awards Asia and Australia (lots of travelling ahead)
My deadlines are a week apart, all ending on a Thursday. It's all very well organised and once I get into the flow of how things are done it'll be less daunting!

I walked home for lunch. It's the same distance, to the minute of my old walk from Rushes Road to NutriVital, though the walk is somewhat different. I walk down streets lined with market stalls. Fresh fish, fruit and vegetables. The smells and bustle are electric and alive. I walk through in my suit amongst the dirty streets but I think it's magical. It feels very China and I feel so lucky to be here.

I got home and made some lunch in the apartment, which is currently a working progress. It's not been loved for a while, over time I intend to make it my home, adding to it and loving it. My clothes were hanging in the window drying in the sun. I thought it looked quite beautiful.





I called Paul to make plans for tomorrow. After sitting in an office for the past three days and planning to go to the Contemporary Asian Art Exhibition tomorrow, also inside, I felt it was important to spend most of tomorrow outside, especially as its going to be a beautiful sunny day. The weather really is just perfect now. Hot sunny days and the humidity has almost gone. Paul and I will head to Lantau Island for brunch at a Turkish restaurant and sit on the beach till the afternoon, heading to the art exhibition after.

I am off to the theatre tonight to see a production of Sherlock Holmes with my old housemate Richie.

I feel part of something. I thought I would feel like part of a machine, but I don't. It's not a big corporate company like I imagined it would be. It's full of friendly people all working hard to achieve something, in my case, events for a thriving industry.

I found out in the afternoon, during a very long call from my manager in London, that I was meant to be going to Jakarta next week for the Indonesia Forum event as I would be producing it next year, sadly they didn't know if my visa would be approved in time so this time I missed out. So far on my list of places I'll be going to next year are: China, Singapore, Jakarta and Australia.

This is all very exciting, unlike the phone call from my manager which went on for over an hour, on a Friday afternoon. It was all very useful info, but my goodness was my brain aching. So much info this week, I hope the weekend doesn't mean I forget everything. I wrote up the notes from the conversation and left the office, my desk, and my new life behind for two whole days.

I met with Richie and Courtney after work, along with the other seven million meeting for after work drinks. We met in Lan Kawi Fong (LKF) a famous area of Central packed with bars and people, its a little like Magaluf, but with rich people and Asians. Not my sort of place, but since every time I tell people 'I've never been to Lan Kawi' I get looks of disbelief staring back at me with a reply 'you've NEVER been?'

The thing is, although there are some nice bars and people, I'm sure, I just tend to meet people that I don't connect with in places like LKF. I'm not the biggest fan of drinking, and heading out to places like LKF you tend to meet people who ARE very fond of drinking, regularly and a lot. No thank you very much. I have much better things to spend my time and money on.

Sherlock Holmes was in The Fringe Club on Albert Street, a small building that stood at the tip of where Wyndham Street meets Albert Road. It was rough around the edges, the chairs had been put out and it all looked a bit thrown together at the last minute, I loved it instantly. This place had defiantly been shown love, the toilet doors where hanging on hinges, the pictures on the walls were slightly wonky, the lights flickered.

There was an audience of around 100. It was small and intimate and wasn't enough chairs for everyone. We stood at the bar and had a glass of wine.

The play was short, but the actors, specifically Sherlock was amazing. It was nice to be in front of talented and creative people again. I loose myself when I watch others transform themselves on stage. I made a note to look out for more plays; I will go on my own if I can't find people to join on my cultural adventures in Hong Kong.





We headed back to LKF to have a cocktail and catch up. We ate some food in an area called Rats Alley, an alley way filled with outside tables and chairs. The cocktails and exhaustion definitely starting to take effect. It had been a long week and I was ready to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment