Saturday 29 September 2012

Opps I did it again


Lazy Saturdays are the best. I couldn't sleep last night, due to my late night large coffee at 10:30pm on route to Happy Valley to watch a film with Paul. I lay awake till 3am reading and relaxed in the knowledge it didn't really matter that I would be tired the following day as all I wanted to do was head to the beach and finish my book in the sunshine.

I jumped on the 11am ferry to Lamma Island after debating my other options, Repulse Bay, Deep Water Bay, The Cricket Club, all much closer and after deciding it would be a cop out I decided to stick with my original plan to spend the day on Lamma. Part of me thinking I'm getting better at committing, the other part realising I'm better at committing to plans if they don't involve anyone else.

I got stuck into my book waiting for the ferry and on the ferry. I've now become more 'local' as I chose to sit downstairs and read rather than look out of the window. I also know that I'll be first off this way. I had three plans, beach, food at The Green Cottage and shopping in no particular order.

I remembered a great little cafe/bakery serving fresh smoothies on route to the beach, I ordered the blueberry and banana and drank it on my walk to the beach, roughly a 10 minute stroll from the ferry pier along the footpaths. I like to think of this as a green Venice. No cars, no traffic, little streets and bicycles.
Lamma definitely has the bohemian feel. Brighton on a leafy green island bathed in sunshine.





I settled at the beach in a quite spot away from the flow of other Lamma visitors passing through on their way to the other side of the Island. I wasn't here today to do anything apart from relax. I found myself with tears in my eyes as I finished my book When God was a Rabbit. My mummy and sister both recommended it to me after they both read it. The story is simple, but the relationship between the main character and her brother Joe, was what struck a cord with my heart, hence the tears in public. Their relationship reminded me of my own with Ruth, my dearest sister. I felt very close to her in this moment on the beach and as one of 'our' songs came on in the bar behind me I was reminded of our friendship, support and unconditional love for each other. She was with me at this very moment, in my heart, where I carry hers, wherever I am in the world, on every adventure I go on. She is the strength I have.






After a few hours of midday sun it was time I made my way to The Green Cottage, my new favourite place in the world to eat and watch the world go by.

I decided somewhere between the beach and the cafe that I think I might quite like to live on Lamma. Visions of family and friends coming to visit me in my house near the beach, with a veranda to sit and watch the world go by in the sun came rushing over me. Kenai riding around on his little bike down the trafficless roads, safe and sound as Ruth and I drink smoothies in the sun and catching up like we'd never been apart. I thought of Tar, Kate and Kay all coming to visit. I suddenly realised that I could really see myself here. Working in the city and living on an island!

I could have a bike with a basket and cycle to collect fresh vegetables in the morning. I could go for a run in the fresh air to the beach where I could swim in the sea. I could go for a coffee and piece of cake, read the newspaper and watch the world go by on a weekend morning. I could be part of the slightly eccentric Lamma community.........




I sat at The Green Cottage for a few hours. It's the sort of cafe you can do this. In the city, you get funny looks for what feels like out staying your welcome. A coffee buys you and hour; order something else for an additional hour type thing. In The Green Cottage I can imagine ordering, and the staff sort of forgetting about you for as long as you want to be invisible for, hours, the whole day even, without them putting any pressure on you to leave or make you feel you are out staying your welcome. I could have stayed all day, and I fully intend to one day soon!

Ohhhhh Lamma, Lamma Lamma Lamma. I think I'm falling in love







No comments:

Post a Comment