Wednesday 26 September 2012

The city of diversity


Another week goes by in Hong Kong and what an ACTION packed week it has been. With my visitor Mr G still in town we embraced all the diversity that Hong Kong has too offer. It's fair to say that I am pretty exhausted after night upon night of activities.

After our lazy day on Lamma Island, Monday was the day to head to Stanley, a small picturesque market town on the south side of Hong Kong Island. There is nothing about Stanley that screams out Asia. It looks more like the south of France with the promenade lined with bars and restaurants. There is a great little market where I began my Christmas shopping. We walked through the streets in the sunshine and ambled our way to the seclude beach a few minutes walk from the centre of Stanley.



The beach was beautiful with groups of people sitting in the sunshine chatting, eating and sipping cold beers. We stayed for a few hours and embraced the hot day. After we had soaked up the rays we set off for some lunch on Stanley front. We found a table on the top floor of a restaurant that over looked the sea and enjoyed a fresh salad but very over priced salad.










After a few hours of watching the world go by, we headed back into Central on the most picturesque bus ride in Hong Kong following the sea around the island. Feeling very lethargic we decided that the Peak was the best place to spend our evening looking out on the city skyline from the highest point on the Island. We picked up some snacks for a picnic and made our way to a secluded area that no one knows about, to eat and chat the night away. It was a beautiful evening and we both felt on top of the world.
























Monday I headed out for an early morning run to my favourite spot, Jardine's Lookout. It was a glorious day and the sun was shining while I powered up the mountain and back down the other side. The rest of the day was filled with emails to encourage more support for the big charity event at the weekend. I have worked hard to make this event for Feeding Hong Kong a success and I am looking forward to being a part of this amazing charity and the work they do while I am in Hong Kong.



































The evening came around and I met up with Mr G to head to the most exclusive cocktail bars in Hong Kong. The ICC is the 4th tallest building in the world and on the 118th floor there is a bar called Ozone serving the most delicious cocktails with the most remarkable and amazing views in town. I had bought a new dress and we headed there to sit, chat and sip cocktails, our favourite being an espresso Martini, two of my most favourite things in one drink. Hours drift by in this amazing bar as you can view the entire skyline of Hong Kong Island. It is truly memorising.



In true Hong Kong fashion we headed from the classiest bar in Hong Kong to Pisano's for a slice of pizza and a beer form 7/11 which we sat on the steps of the MTR station to eat and drink. 




Tuesday was filled with meetings for me. First stop the Helena May, one of the most exclusive membership clubs in Hong Kong who are holding an event for Feeding Hong Kong, which I had worked hard to arrange. It was a beautiful place and made me think of various beautiful spas and hotels back in England. A little English sanctuary in the heart of Hong Kong.  I went to meet with my new manager after for some lunch and to talk about my new job. It wasn't the easiest of lunches and I had that feeling return, apprehension. When asked 'do you have any questions' I had that sinking feeling. We did however discuss who I would be working with and he did keep saying 'don't worry there will be lots of people for you to lean on'.

Tuesday evening I took Mr G to the Night Temple Street Market as a contrast to our cocktail evening the night before, The Night Temple Street Market is a bustling and very atmospheric destination. The streets are lined with market stools and food stools serving everything you can imagine. We grabbed a table on the street and sat down to soak up the atmosphere all around us. We ventured down the market lanes.  Everything is sold here, from T shirts, to Chinese paintings, to fake hand bags and wallets. Its alive and I was glad to have my ghetto friend with me to hustle and haggle all my prices down. The boys keep telling me I need to 'man up'. Apparently I am too much of a push over for Hong Kong. I think growing a bit more of a backbone will do me good. Growing stronger and more confident is my only option to survive this city.

Wednesday evening we headed to the horse racing in Happy Valley. This is the highlight in the Hong Kong working week, but after another long day, we were both tired and didn't feel like staying long. We placed a few bets and watched a few races before heading back to our respective homes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment