Saturday 15 September 2012

Wan Chai Wednesday


I wanted to wander around today; looking in shops, walking down roads I hadn't been down before. My meetings kept changing times so I took the chance to explore.

I had a list of things I need and things I needed to do. I have ample wandering time today, I would meander my way back from Sheung Wan to Wan Chai all afternoon.....find a little coffee shop on route and take in the city, oh and of course, try another IFLR magazine article......

I have found another apartment; I have decided to up my budget, as I don't want to live somewhere dark and miserable again. I move in on the 30th September, which means I am homeless for a week or so, but I'm sure something will come up. I'll be in my new apartment, three days ahead of my first day at EuroMoney, enough time to unpack and settle in. It's close to my new office and there is already a British guy there and a French chap. I will be taking over a double room, which a girl is currently occupying. It's definitely got the student feel to it, but it'll be nice to have a base again.

Next stop, lunch with my old housemate Jonny. After my lunch I don't have a commitment till after 4pm so more wandering for me. I now have two contracts to sign, one for work and one for my apartment. One to pay for the other. I looked at my budget last night and I think I'll be okay till my first pay day, although I will be working freelance till my visa comes through.

It's strange being in Central with nothing to do. I always think I'll be inspired by something, to do something and inevitably I always end up heading for the MTR, there isn't much there when you think about it. I headed back to Wan Chai to wander and see where the wind would take me. I decided an hour to just sit was what I needed so went to The Pawn and sat on the balcony to watch the world go by, drink a pot of camomile tea and write. It was just what I needed. I felt much more relaxed afterwards.



Life goes through waves of busy times and empty times. I am in the middle of a very busy time at present, experiencing timetable overload. This city will be a challenge to relax in. I was regularly feeling anxious and on edge. Over thinking and worrying about things 100% out of my control. I thought about what I had already achieved. What I had already accomplished.

I have spent 25 years in the heart of Hampshire, family close by, familiarity around every corner and firmly in my comfort zone. Eight weeks ago I jumped on a plane, on my own to one of the busiest most hectic cities in the world. I've never lived in any city before. Of course I'm going to have days where it all feels too much, too hard and too scary, because it IS hard, is sometimes scary and I do feel like I want to run back to my safe place occasionally. This gave me the break I needed to give myself. I was actually doing okay. I was doing my best in a new and unfamiliar place. In fact, I was doing pretty well for a girl who had never been away from home before. I have found a job, an apartment and I was living in Hong Kong.





I left The Pawn and went to the Wan Chai Exhibition Centre to meet with Gabrielle and the Feeding Hong Kong crew. I was looking forward to seeing Gabrielle as she was a conference producer for EuroMoney a few years ago. She gave me the confidence I was hoping for and assured me she went through the same nervousness as I am experiencing before starting.

We discussed our busy lives and before I knew it another meeting was scheduled for the charity. My empty week next week now looks full up. Gabrielle is such an inspiration and whenever I meet with her I feel at ease. I definitely want to continue my work with Feeding Hong Kong throughout my time here. It is important to me to continue to give something back. It is work that definitely connects with my heart.









No comments:

Post a Comment