Thursday 23 August 2012

Angry Germans and Chinese contemporary art


One of my flat mates is a very angry man. He shouts at me for everything you could possible shout at a new housemate for. I brushed it off with 'he's probably just having a bad day'. BUT really, does it really matter, and more importantly does it require raising your voice, if there are a few black feet marks on the bathroom floor, if my door occasionally shuts a little loudly because of the windows being open, if the bathroom door is slightly hard to close and therefore makes more sound than silence. I wont let there be tension, as it really is a very small apartment for four people to be living in. I think the whole apartment would fit into the living area of my flat on Swan Street. With four adults living in such close proximity you have to adapt very quickly to the other peoples living habits.

The angry German walks around in his very small pants and shouts at me. His small Filipino mistress is sweet but by the looks of it doesn't leave the bed, unless to fry up some chicken nuggets to eat with tomato ketchup at around 11pm. The other housemate is the saving grace. As I said, pros and cons to everything. Jonny is really sweet and we get along just great.

We escaped the dark apartment. The angry German doesn't like lights on, and as there is no internal windows, means the apartment is in pitch black. Another reason I stay in my room, I have actual windows. Going to the toilet or to the kitchen is quite a risky business with no light at all, in the middle of the day. You have to sort of sense your way there. He doesn't mind me putting the light on, well he hasn't shouted at me about it yet, if I am, for example in the kitchen, or in the loo, though he does, apparently try and open the door while I am in the bathroom to show me how to operate the door properly. Just a little side note here; the bathroom is so small you can't actually sit on the toilet facing forward, there is about an inch from the front of the bowl to the wall. You have to sit sideways, like ladies used to ride horses. Talk about squeezing everything in to a tiny space.

Anyways, back to Jonny and I escaping last night. Jonny works for a PR company. He invited me along, after mentioning art exhibitions to him a few days ago. The opening of a Chinese contemporary art exhibition was opening on 15 Elgin Street at the Culture Club. Jonny had promised free food and wine so I went along, obviously, to look at the art as well.







There was a room full of very 'arty' types all discussing 'the real meaning behind the word contemporary and art' and if a German painter could claim this statement if he was based in China but was born in Germany. I headed for the bar and had a look around. There was some beautiful prints and a very exciting flyer, posters section; great scrapbooking material.

I met some interesting people. An offer to do some marketing work in Bali for a lady who has a retreat there. A nice chap who wanted me to explain why I wanted to work in events, in order for him to pass my CV over to 'some people he knows'. This is the city of 'I’ll introduce you', 'I have a contact there', 'pass your info and I'll pass it on' etc etc.


There was no food. I had another cigarette. I had eaten very little today and was now getting quite hungry. Jonny said he would buy us a late dinner. I continued to have very random conversations with some very 'arty' 'creative' types and realised I really am able to pick conversations up about anything and run with them. I had an interesting conversation about empathy, a chat about creativity and expressing yourself through art, music and poetry, how to sell Singapore as a holiday destination to Hong Kongers and gave my very valuable opinion on some of the pieces. One really did remind me of Pulp Fiction, no one else saw this but me.


We left after a few glasses of free wine, hours of arty conversations we headed to Pisano’s, the largest pizza makers in town, famous for pizza's so large you can't walk through the door with it flat, but have to tilt it to one side to get it through the door. I am so ordering one of these when I get a job. We bought a slice each. I must say, pizza tasted good after weeks of boiled eggs and noodles.






















Another culture rich day in Hong Kong. I even hung my laundry out of my window, very Hong Kong.





No comments:

Post a Comment