Friday 10 August 2012

Interview number two. Feeding Hong Kong


"I get by with a little help from my fiends"

I wouldn't advise doing two interviews the day after one another. Interviews take a lot of energy from you, so I woke up feeling quite exhausted. This I'm thinking might work in my favour, as when my energy levels are at their peak, I can come across as a bit full on. I feel a lot more chilled today, which will suit the charity interview.

I've already adapted to the humidity. I don't find it too unbearable anymore. This could be down to being more physically fit again. My skin has also adapted and is back to its natural radiance. I have been keeping myself fit and healthy since arriving, two weeks in and it is already paying off.

I'm glad I left two hours to get there! I spent the first hour going in a huge circle. Tram from Happy Valley, MTR to Central from Wan Chai, off at central, a few distressed 'damsel in a dress' texts as the purple or green lines I was expecting to see were nowhere in sight. So glad the MTR is air conditioned as I walked from one side of the station to the other. A response from my distress texts and I was back on route. Back onto the same train I had got on to from Wan Chai, I went trough Wan Chai for the second time in an hour! But with plenty of time, I was back on the correct path to Yau Tong (which had been hiding on the opposite side of the tube map to where I was looking)

Thank god for phone signal on the underground in Hong Kong. This city really does have it ALL.

Note to self: underground maps and Google maps DON'T match up. There is no logic between the two.

I arrived in an industrial estate, large buildings, many lorries and feeling good. I found the unit I was after, and ventured to the Feeding Hong Kong offices. I met with Gabrielle who showed me round the warehouse stocked with food ready to go out to the hungry of Hong Kong. She explained all about the logistics and the projects they were working on.





An amazing charity working with schools, corporates, universities, churches and individuals to help those who are less fortunate. They are working on a huge campaign called Project3200 which will run throughout September. The idea behind it is that 3200 tons of food goes to waste in HK every day, and 1.5 million people go hungry. They collect the waste food, and distribute it to the 1.5 million. Easy. What I will be doing is finding clubhouses at local sports clubs who have space to store the food before collection and distribution can be arranged.

I start next week, which gives me 4 days to find a flat, do the research for FHK all before Kay arrives.

Busy busy bee in Hong Kong city!!

I decided to spend the afternoon on the beach! I think I deserve it after the week I've had. I headed to Repulse Bay, sun bathed and swam in the sea on a lovely 34degree day!

It was far from relaxing due to the unbelievable amount of tourists, taking photos of everything! When I was asked to take a photo, I thought they meant of them, as a family on the beach, oh no, the child proceeded to sit down next to me for a photo with me, I swiftly told them where to go and picked my stuff up to relocate! I know my Primark bikini is amazing, but you can do one if you think you are having a photo of me.....with your small Chinese child!





It clouded over and I headed home to start flat hunting! I'm viewing two tomorrow, but I want to see many many before I make a decision! I have till next Thursday to find something!

Wish me luck......


No comments:

Post a Comment