Wednesday 22 August 2012

Lets get back to business


Wednesday morning, and two meetings to attend for Feeding Hong Kong. One with the Aberdeen Boat Club and the other with the French Chamber of Commerce.

I left with plenty of time, after researching where bus route 75 left from. Just across the way. I headed to the exact place where my research told me the bus left from. 75 was no-where to be seen. I eventually found it but it was heading in the wrong direction. Unlike the UK, where the bus routes go one way on one side of the road, and on the other side of the road, heads the opposite direction. Not in Hong Kong. I found the 75 heading from Aberdeen to Central, walked to the other side of the road where I expected to see the 75 from Central to Aberdeen, nowhere to be seen. I checked my maps, I Googled the bus route on my phone, I sent out a few 'damsel in a dress' texts. Time was ticking. Did I risk jumping on the MTR to Causeway bay to look for bus route 72a. If I couldn't find 75 in Wan Chai, when I had researched, how on earth was I to find 72a without any research. I made the decision to risk it. Running to the MTR, jumping off at Causeway bay and headed to the exit, which promised me a bus terminal. I finally found the bus stop for 72a, with only half an hour to spare before my meeting begun. The meeting that was already 'pushed for time'. My bus research informed me it took 45 minutes to Aberdeen, but Gabrielle assured me it took less. I was praying for the later.

The bus finally turned up, I informed Philippe and Gabrielle I may be a few minutes late. The bus turned into the Shum Wan Road bus terminal and I was a few minutes early. Phew. The Gods of time were on my side. Gabrielle showed up and we met with the General Manager at the Aberdeen Boat Club to discuss them working with Feeding Hong Kong on the September campaign and to build an ongoing support from them over the coming year. Philippe was great, a really charismatic, warm, friendly chap, with a fantastic sense of humor. We drank an espresso and formulated some plans to work with them.  We booked in our first event with them and we jumped on the bus to central.

Hong Kong is a really 'club' place. Everyone is a member of a 'club'. This exclusive 'I'm somebody important don't you know' attitude is everywhere. Luckily for us at Feeding Hong Kong the members also like the show of 'I support a charity don't you know'. I love this charity work. If only I could work for them full time and not have to sell myself out to a corporate in order to stay and live in Hong Kong.

Gabrielle and I discussed employment and she has been working on funding for some time, but as it stands they can't find the funds for another member of staff. We also discussed a role at the company she used to work for, which she is kindly putting a good word in for me. It's a conference production role so we will see where this latest lead goes. If I worked for a friend of hers, they may be more lenient to me working with the charity as well. I think I could give my Saturdays up for Feeding Hong Kong when I find work. I always liked to work on a Saturday as it gave me the perfect excuse to not go out on a Friday evening, which I am not the biggest fan of, but even I find it hard to stay in when the world goes out and parties sometimes.

It's a shame that charity work tends to be only an option and possibility for the privileged. Those people who don't have to worry about money. I would love nothing more than to work full time for Feeding Hong Kong. It rings so close to my heart, but I just can't afford to live without an income. My savings will dry up in a few months and I will no longer be able to stay. One of Feeding Hong Kong's facts is that 'poverty is when a family is living off less than $30 a day for food'. I am living off $20 (£1.80) a day on food......Feeding myself and living will only be possible in the short term which is why, sadly I have to sell myself off to a corporate.

We arrived in Central after discussing a great deal on the bus., We headed up to the French Chamber of Commerce office in the On Hing Terrace building. This meeting was much harder work. The French are so hard to read. Some interesting ideas were bounced around, but they were keen to know what was in it for them. We had another espresso. I was buzzing from the meetings. I still love nothing more than meeting with people and talking with them about working together. Networking, connecting, planning and business. I forgot about the coffee consumption during meetings. Note to self: less coffee when in meetings.

I headed back to my little room in Wan Chai to start following up all the meetings and research the company that Gabrielle is putting me forward for. I had a call from Hays who are looking for recruitment consultants. I said I'd go in and meet with them, but I couldn't do this week as I already had 2 meetings, plus a new role to follow up and apply for. I like being this busy, it keeps my mind away from wandering into negative territory. As long as I keep going, planning meetings, emailing companies and applying for jobs I am sure to find something that works.

Oh and guess what I walked past on route back to my apartment, bus stop 75......it was right outside my front door. If I hadn't been, head down looking at my iPhone trying to figure out where the bus stop was, I'd probably have seen it. Lesson to be learnt here........head up......

I left the UK one month ago today. I think of home often. I'm hoping things work out in Hong Kong so I can start feeling I have a new home, a second home, a home away from home.

I made a commitment to my blog, that I would write whether things were good or bad. I wanted to share the ups and the downs. The true reality of my adventure. I didn't want to dress it up. A true representation of my journey; every step. I am human, and I will have days that challenge me. I will have moments that I want to give up and run home. I will have days that I feel on top of the Hong Kong world. I will ride out the hard days and enjoy the good. I feel your love, prayers and support daily. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment