Sunday 12 August 2012

Super Sunday


I went along to the St Stephens Society church this morning in Lai Chi Kok. The church that Jackie Pullinger started off the back of her missionary work in the old Walled City of Kowloon in the 60's. She came to Hong Kong and helped those in greatest need and wrote a book called Chasing The Dragon.

The service was in English and Chinese. We sang in both. It was a 500 strong congregation and they spoke about their work in Vietnam and how their lives had been touched by faith in Hong Kong. I was introduced to Jackie who spoke earlier in the service about forgiving and being a good person on behalf of God.




I'm glad I have found somewhere I can be on a Sunday morning. I miss my family, holding Kenai and being with my mum and sister, but I'm glad to have found somewhere that I am welcomed. I look forward to going back.

I headed home for some lunch and headed straight back out to meet a friend in Central for some girlie time; a manicure and some food. I have completed stopped biting my fingers. Now if any of you know me really well, you will understand how much of an achievement this is for me and why a manicure is such a big deal. I may even take a photo, something I haven't done in years. I always try to hide my hands as they have always been sore and very unattractive to look at. Not any more.

I headed into Central to meet with Sally to have our pamper session at Happy Feet. It was a lovely spa. I'm definitely going to make a habit of visiting. Always nice to treat yourself. We headed to The Globe after to meet with some of Sally's friends. The Globe is your standard British Sunday hangover pub, lushness but they weren't doing food so we jumped in a taxi to head to TST, referred to by HK islanders as 'The Dark Side' it's a bit like the north/south London divide. We went to meet with some guys who were celebrating a birthday in a bar called Mes Amis. It was happy hour........we took advantage of the cheap drinks and food. I met with some amazing people and made some more good contacts. I have been trying to track down Pippa Laxton's contact details, as she owns a very cool events and marketing company. Turns out, one of the girls I got a taxi with used to work for her. I hope something comes of this, as I'd love to make contact with Pippa.

We headed back to Central, where we attempted to find a roof top swimming pool, walking aimlessly into very posh looking hotels, heading to the lift, pressing the button for the top floor and hoping no one would ask any questions. Funnily enough, this was a failed mission. After a few too many beers, I decided that a walk would be best so started the long trek back from Central to Happy Valley, this took about an hour, and was quite a precarious thing to attempt, crossing various main roads in a slightly worse for wear state. I manage to arrive home safely. I think this would be referred to as a Super Sunday. Good times

No comments:

Post a Comment