Wednesday 29 August 2012

Study study study. One step closer to the Hong Kong dream


The effects of sitting in front of your computer for days on end researching international law, merger and acquisitions trends and topics is that you move into a state of strange consciousness. The day begins and the sun goes down quite unnoticed. Your days is built up from coffee breaks, communicating with the outside world about how you feel your brain is just about to melt out of your ears, making food to feed your brain and drink more coffee to encourage brain to work extra hard.

I have been writing this paper, which has similarities to a dissertation, but on a mini scale, with referencing and research being the main aim of the task. I'm not trying to demonstrate my law knowledge; I am showing evidence of my ability to meet a deadline, research and my capabilities when set a new task. I have surprised even myself that I can encourage my academic part of my brain out after all these years. I have quite enjoyed the challenge, and realised that I still enjoy researching in order to reach a desired outcome.

Not only do I have this paper to complete by Friday lunchtime, I also have an hour and a half conference call. In some ways, it might work in my favour to not have any time to prepare for the second interview. I have no idea what they will ask. An hour and a half is a considerable length of time. I would like to have the paper completed by tomorrow. Then I can have some time to prepare on Friday morning for the second interview. Think about what questions might come up and how I will answer them, that sort of thing.

I am happy in the knowledge that I have already put a considerable amount of work into this, so even if I don't get offered the job, I genuinely have given it my all. The more I have worked and focused my attention on this paper and role, the more I think I would make an amazing conference producer. I am half way there. One step at a time. This is definitely the biggest challenge I have had since arriving in Hong Kong, actually probably more in my LIFE!! I've never applied myself so much for a job interview situation. This is more than selling yourself and experiences, this is proving your capabilities and potential.

It's Wednesday evening and I have spent 11 hours in front of my computer compiling this paper. I feel exhausted. My brain is in much need of some rest. I will have an early night and not go out as planned. I can therefore get up and go for a run, and have a look at my paper with fresh new day eyes tomorrow. One day closer, one step closer to my Hong Kong dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment