Monday 27 August 2012

Beach, book and blue skies. Another weekend in Hong Kong


What a lovely relaxing weekend in Hong Kong. I felt I deserved a break this weekend and shut my computer and headed to the beach. It was a glorious Saturday with temperatures reaching 36 degrees. I headed out for a Saturday morning run on Bowen Road, apparently with every other runner in Hong Kong. It is a beautiful road hanging in the tress above Hong Kong City. Surprisingly tranquil as it follows the city skyline from Central all the way round to Happy Valley.

I arrived back at the dark apartment to have some breakfast and to wake my housemate to head to the beach. The sun high in the sky and I was ready to relax with my book and a beer in the sunshine on the beach. We had planned to go to Lamma Island, but I couldn't find the energy or will to go all the way there, so we settled for Repulse Bay. The bus left from right outside our front door. A no brainer really.

A few hours of sitting in the sun, reading my book and drinking cold beers followed. A swim in the sea and some amusing conversations. We headed back to our apartment an early night ahead of an early Sunday start.
























I went off to Lai Chi Kok to meet with Josh and head to the St Stephens Society church once more. Jackie spoke about the fruit you show to others. That what you show to others on the outside is a true representation of what is on the inside. I realised that one of the reasons I don't feel alone in Hong Kong or in general any more is I never am. I have found that the closer I am to my heart the less I feel alone. She spoke about iniquity and forgiveness. I made some notes to look up later. I find it fascinating how relevant and comparable the words of the Bible are in today's world. That over 2000 years ago, people still had the same thoughts, challenges and questions as we do now. I found this in Shakespeare too and equally find comfort in his words. It all helps to know that you are not alone in your thoughts and worries. That you are not the first and will not be the last.

I nattered to some new faces and made my way back to the apartment to have some lunch and settle into an afternoon of films and scrapbooking. I watched Oceans 11, Pi and The Perfect Storm. I contacted Paul, who I hadn't had the opportunity to see since he returned and I arrived in Hong Kong. Paul text to say pop over at half 8, so off I went, back to Happy Valley to the apartment my journey began in almost three months ago. We sat on the roof and caught up on our recent adventures around the world.

The most relaxing of weekends ahead of a busy week with an almighty important interview to prepare for. I have an interview for a large company, EuroMoney on Tuesday morning. The role is for a conference producer. Gabrielle at Feeding Hong Kong used to work for them and put me in touch with Pete who is conducting the interviews. Another big challenge for me. A friend has already interviewed for the position and said it was tough. I will do my preparation and go for it. I will give it my all based on the experience I have. I think I'm in with a shot. Wish me luck........Interview number four.........

No comments:

Post a Comment