Friday 3 August 2012

The city of big dreams and small apartments


I have come to the conclusion, that I am not jet lagged any more, just really really exited about my future here. I didn't sleep well again last night, but A) it doesn't matter as it's Saturday and B) each day brings something new and exciting to my time here. Last night I looked into my trip to the Philippines for Christmas, which I will be booking as soon as I find a job. I also watched Batman Begins at 2:30am. I forgot how scary it was. I'm bracing myself for The Dark Knight, as I remember there is a clown, and even though I have reached the grand old age of 25 without being chased, murdered or involved with a clown of any description, they still petrify the life out of me.





I thought I would put some photos up. I really haven't taken that many as I have been spending a lot of time in front of my laptop, researching and the likes, meeting new people and sitting on the beach. But here are a few of my last few days. (I like taking photos of food, always have, always will. So expect a lot of these throughout this blog) And yes, I like my Instagram app. I don't have a 'proper' camera, so my iPhone will have to do for now.




Coco Thai- Thai restaurant at Deep Water Bay- Thursday lunch 2nd August  

My order, mushroom and what can only be described as the MOST amount of chilli's I have ever seen. What took place was a dissection of my food, as I avoided all chilli's and seeds for the following 30 minutes.

My morning run up Blue Pool Road, Happy Valley 


The poor girls dinner.


If my housemate can drag himself out of bed today, we had planned a hike over the mountain to Stanley, through the national park. A good two hours of cardio, beautiful green lushness and a beach and a swim in the sea the other side. Which means some good photos too, 

I've just found Groupon HK. HELLO GROUPON Hong Kong (this rhymes). Yes, I would like a $78 manicure, and yes please to the 50% discount for a haircut and colour. Groupon is now my new best unemployment partner. 

I am still working on by budget. I am viewing two apartments next week. One is small small, and $5500 ($500 over my budget). One is slightly bigger, with a more workable kitchen, according to the photos, that by all experience tells me not to pre judge from, for $6000 which is an extra $500 (£50) but $1000 (£100) over budget for a slightly larger place. I will keep my mums wise words in my head until I find employment 'its means to an end, it's not the destination, it's the journey'. If I blow all my savings in HK and can't find work, the next chapter wont be possible and I’ll have to drag my sorry self home, which is NOT the desired outcome. So for now, budget budget budget till I have secured something more solid. 

I can rent a nice room the moment I know I have an income. It's amazing how all of the apartments, although the size of a shoe box and a small shoe box at that, strappy sandles, not a pair of boots type of thing, they ALL come (and are advertised) as being fully serviced, i.e. they come with a Filipino maid. Now, as most of you know, I enjoy a good clean. Not only can I not do this in HK, I have to pay, unwillingly to have someone else do it for me. So, I get a maid, which I don't want, but I am struggling to find one with a kitchen, which I do require. How is it that 'beggars can't be picky', but the basic requirement of a kitchen is not considered as important as a maid?!?!?! HK, you are beautiful, but so silly in some very obvious areas. We'll see what turns up; I have till the 20th August to find somewhere to rest my rump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment