Wednesday 1 August 2012

Lack of sleep and 36 degree heat


What can only be described as the worst night sleep of my life I entered into day six in Hong Kong. I woke up at 1am, and couldn't get back to sleep. I gave in much earlier than the previous night. I sent out some emails and put a movie on. March of the Penguins seemed to be fitting. I blame the air con unit again. The constant hum and the feeling like you are developing a cold is not the ideal sleeping situation.  I also think it is down to excitement. My mind is on fire with possibilities. I go round and round thinking about all the opportunities of this city. Who I might meet, where I might end up. Unlike the last time I couldn't sleep, I had a time commitment the following day. I had promised my cousin that I would take her to Lamma and show her around at 10am. After a sleepless night this wasn't appealing to me at all when I finally dragged myself out of bed at 8:30.  I had boiled eggs to keep me going. Breakfast of champions. Alas, no amount of coffee or eggs was going to help me through the day ahead.





It made me think about this city and time management.

The city that is always on the go. A fine balance between things you have to do and things you want to do. I have to think about the balance or I can see how this city could swallow me up and throw me out the other side, jobless, savings gone and a dream missed.


Hong Kong is the city of time management! Get to there and then back, then to there, by this time to meet so and so, and then on to somewhere else to meet some more people later! 

Add friends flying in. They fly in on this date, then someone else arrives a few days later, they stay a few nights, you show them the highlights, making sure you show off the city you fell in love with to its best in the time you and they have. When I start work I can see very easily how this is the city that never sleeps!!! BRING IT ON!!! I love love LOVE it!! This is what I thrive off, busy busy schedules. Must remember to take some time out, to do my own things and not get swallowed up by the city, thrive not just survive!!! 

Additional random note: I think walking around; looking down at your phone should be a punishable offence! No one looks up, making navigating the streets much harder.
Note to self: Stop your London strutting around HK!!!!! 

Constant additional note: Dripping air con units!!!! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww


I could have been a much better tour guide had I had more sleep. I wasn't feeling it and the 36 degree temperature wasn't helping. All I wanted to do was get back to the apartment, put the air con on full and fall asleep reading my book. Instead I went to Lamma Island and walked about in the hottest day I have ever experienced and then sat on a tram, getting more and more worked up as the traffic lights stayed red for what felt like an eternity. My first day in Hong Kong that my temper got the better of me. Lack of sleep plus 36 degrees equals one irritable lady.







I arrived back at the flat, downed 2 litres of ice-cold water; air con up full, cold shower and I returned to my content happy self. A little nap and I was ready to head out to meet with a new friend in Causeway Bay. We went to a bar that I will now refer to as 'The Monkey Bar' as the floor was COVERED in peanut shells. I am clearly too well trained as I peeled my peanuts an put the shells back in the pot. It just felt all-wrong to just discard peanut shell after peanut shell onto the floor. I got into the 'swing' of things (unintentional pun). Nice chap, been in Hong Kong nine years on and off. Hopefully friend number two.

I managed to find the equivalent of House of Fraser in Time Square, meaning I now know where to buy some foundation (which I have left on my dressing table at home, hint hint to anyone that wants to send me some post)

Another thing to add to the 'once I have a job' list. Which is growing daily. There is so much I can buy and do when I have found work and an income. For now, I will make do with what I have. But there WILL be celebrations when I find work.

I have heard back from the charity Feeding Hong Kong who really needs some help on a new big campaign they are working on. I hope to meet with them on Friday. They also do some big events so it may help me find paid work too. Things are all coming together nicely. This is a good city for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment