Saturday 4 August 2012

I have completed the internet


Saturday turned out to be a funny day. Richie finally surfaced at around 2pm. No hiking up big Hong Kong mountains for him due to his 7am return home.

I did have the chance to speak with my mum and my sister. It was so so nice to have a Saturday natter with my sister, see little bear and generally have a good old catch up. It feels like I have been away forever. Hong Kong is a million miles away from home in so many ways. But this one small activity of Skype means that I can continue to keep up to date with the two most important people in my life. I love you both dearly. If only Skype could include a cuddle.

After my Saturday family catch up, Richie walks in and declares he is bored and it is because he has completed the Internet. Watched, read, seen and listened to EVERYTHING available online. He asked me, "what can I do now?"

"The real world..... remember that? Real people, real books, real sites, real experiences, real conversations"

We are a world trapped behind computer screens. Engaging through technology. In some ways it's the most amazing experience and tool, allowing us to connect with loved ones that are far away. But it also sees us communicating, or believing we are communicating when we are actually not. I have two interviews next week, and one of my main points will be that I am a good communicator, I am a people person, I build rapport with people quickly, I am personable etc etc. In this day and age I think this HAS to include communicating through the Internet. It is unavoidable. I want to read Super Sad Love Story and the book that was written in the early 1900's, called The Machine or something like that. Both books are about living our lives through technology. Interesting! I'll pop them on the list.

I have been asked why I scrap book. My explanation is along the lines of 'I don't want everything in my life to be stored digitally, I want to be able to see and feel it'. I don't genuinely worry about the Internet not being there one day, but if this does ever happen, I will still have a copy of my photos, my favourite poems, my memories all in one (well lots actually) place.

I have always written. Always noted my thoughts and feelings and put them down on paper. I think I was about six the first time I did this. I think I always will. It is a part of me. It's how I express myself. My creativity. I have a brought a scrap book with me to Hong Kong and have already started gathering bits and bobs to include. I literally can't wait for my first scrap book evening, paper and glue everywhere, writing and reading.......creating.

Writing this blog means that I haven't written much down in my notebook. But it's there. I write a lot on my phone now. But when I begin my Hong Kong scrapbook it will all be there.

Right, I am off for a run up the mountain..........its not too hot today so perfect for some hard cardio. I have been invited to meet up with the girls later, and also been invited for dinner. I would like to go to church this morning, but I shall continue my research on this, i.e find one, not research my belief. I have that firmly secured and confirmed in my heart.

Chow for now

No comments:

Post a Comment